Saturday, April 20, 2013

{Planning for the Bean} Prepping for Packing the Go-Bag

The hubby keeps saying that we need to get the "go"-bag packed...his version of the hospital bag.  I'm not sure when the right time to get it ready is, but sooner is better than later, right?  Plus, I'm pretty planning oriented, and I want to get this right!

I've been scouring the internet on Pinterest and mommy blogs for lists of what to include in the "go"-bag.  While there are a lot of similarities among lists, I've found that every mom has something a bit unique.  Also, I've found in my research that apparently we don't need one go-bag, but three...one for mommy, one for daddy, and one for the Bean.  Some people even suggest more bags like an Entertainment bag.  So, now I have to remember at least three things instead of one when we leave for the hospital?  Thank goodness our house is less than a mile down the road from the hospital, just in case I forget something!

Here are some examples of useful lists I've found so far: 

Workman Family (my favorite so far)





For me the essentials seem to be:
  1. The Birth Plan
  2. Glasses
  3. Peppermint oil (I usually use put it on my temples for headaches, but it seems like it might be relaxing in this situation, too.)
  4. Snacks (granola bars, fruit
  5. Going home outfits for me and the Bean
  6. Makeup/toiletries
  7. Camera/tablet
  8. Robe
  9. Flip flops
  10. Contact list
  11. Nursing pads

To purchase for the go bag:
  1. Nursing bras - any recommendations?
  2. Nightgown/nursing PJs - again any recommendations?

At the end of the day, I guess I'm just not sure what I NEED versus what might be slightly helpful.  The lists I've found are rather long.  Plus, do I really want three separate bags or just one bigger bag?  And I've read that some hospitals specifically allow, prohibit, and/or provide certain things like diapers, baby clothes, pacifiers, etc.  We are going to a birthing class at the hospital the first weekend in May, so I'm planning to find out all of the specifics then, but sheesh, does it have to be so complicated?

I'd love any suggestions from mommies who have been through this!

No comments:

Post a Comment